Equality Objectives Statement
The Equality Act 2010 was introduced to ensure protection from discrimination, harassment and victimisation on the grounds of specific characteristics (referred to as protected characteristics).
- We are committed to helping all children, particularly the most disadvantaged and vulnerable
- We work successfully with people of many diverse backgrounds and cultures
- We accept that we have biases and work hard to free ourselves of these
- We know that diversity of experience and perspective makes our organisation richer and our decisions better.
The Trust and The Belham Primary School will annually review how well we achieve these aims with regard to the protected groups under the Equality Act (2010) (race, disability, gender, gender re-assignment, age, pregnancy and maternity, marital status, religion and belief and sexual orientation).
Under the Act, the Trust and its schools are expected to comply with the Public Sector Equality Duty (PSED).
This requires us to:
- Eliminate unlawful discrimination, harassment and victimisation
- Advance equality of opportunity between different groups
- Foster good relations between different groups
As a public organisation, we are required to:
- Have due regard to the PSED when making decisions, taking-action or developing policy and practice.
- Publish information to show compliance with the Equality Duty. This is done via our Equalities Policy.
- Publish Equality Objectives which are specific and measurable.
Our Equality Objectives reflect The Belham Primary School priorities, and our values and draw upon available data and other evidence. Careful analysis of this is undertaken in order to ensure that we are working to achieve improved outcomes for different groups.
Further information can be found via the links below:
Equalities Act 2010 – https://www.gov.uk/guidance/equality-act-2010-guidance
Public Sector Equality Duty – http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/2010/15/section/149